Saturday 22 November 2008

Coffee with my friend

I really love it when my friend texts me out of the blue and asks me if I want to go out, even if it's just for a coffee. It makes me feel like a grown-up! You must understand, I'm at home with three kids and sometimes I feel as though my identity as a thinking, participating adult is being slowly subsumed. I love my children passionately, but I need to use my cerebral cortex a bit more! I think that's why I've become involved in this Baby P thing on Facebook. I decided to stop posting there by the way. I figured when someone suggested I must be a child abuser I obviously wasn't getting my point across and I never would do. So instead I've joined another group which seems (so far) to be free of vigilantes. We'll see. Anyway, back to coffee.

I love my friend Lucy. We met at toddler group and somehow bonded instantly. She's a biology teacher and has a mad family too. She loves superheroes and takes pride in the fact she dresses like she's 17. She doesn't care what other people think of her! When I talk to her it's like looking in the mirror. She is how I might have been if I hadn't been so uptight. She is really intelligent (way smarter than me) and knows her own mind. She doesn't take rubbish from anyone and speaks her mind. She's got no respect for authority at all and personally I think she loves picking a fight. I'm completely the opposite. I don't mind debating with people, but I find it difficult to confront people in authority when I think they are wrong. I tend to put up with things and internalise them. Sometimes I have a rant at my husband but that's about it!

I have hugest respect for her, particularly at the moment. She's on a diet and is losing weight to improve her health. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have the determination to stick at the diet she's on, but she's doing really well and she should be proud of herself. I do want her to hurry up and come rock-climbing with me again. I'm not getting my money's worth out of my membership!

No comments:

Post a Comment