Saturday 22 November 2008

Into the Lions' Den...

So, Keiran's been insisting I read him the story of Daniel and the lions every night for the last couple of weeks. We did a reading challenge from church (six readings over two weeks, get a sweetie at the end - now that's what I call motivation!) and of all the stories we read, this one was his favourite. We read some cool bible stories - David and Goliath, Jonah and the Big Fish (he quite liked that one too...), Noah and the Flood... but Daniel and the Lions was the best one. Every night we cuddle up together and he asks me for Daniel. So I started telling him the story from memory and I discovered something very obvious. Stories change the more often they're told. This is not a bad thing, because I found as I added bit into the story the meaning of it grew richer. I mean, Daniel and the lions was a bit of a childhood favourite for me, I must admit, and it's true that familiarity breeds... well... familiarity and you stop learning things from the passages. But as I told and retold the story of Daniel I learned something new.

I learned that if you keep faith with God He will keep faith with you.
I learned that even the seemingly impossible is possible with God.
I learned that the path to popularity doesn't lie in being true to your convictions.
I learned that prayer is the most powerful weapon in existence.

I'm pretty sure there are other things for me to learn from this story. More news as it comes in...

No comments:

Post a Comment