Friday 21 November 2008

On the nature of justice...

I know, that sounds too deep and meaningful for me, but I thought I would share some thoughts with you. Now, settle down and prepare to be serious for a minute.

On Facebook I've started posting a little bit to a group called In Loving Memory Of Little Angel Baby P...x. I've read an awful lot of hate on that page, contrary to the title of the group and in trying to address that, I've tried to... well I don't know what I've been trying to do. I've been posting from the heart, I guess, and I wanted to share it here and basically get your opinions, I suppose. So the following is a sort of amalgamation of posts I've made...

The law is made for a reason. What makes you qualified to decide it's a bad law and you can ignore it? What would happen if we all decided we would only obey the laws we agreed with?

I didn't say the law was perfect. I didn't say it shouldn't be changed. What I am saying is that until it *is* changed we need to work with it and inside it if we are to maintain a just society. These people should get what they deserve through the justice system, but sadly this case clearly highlights the system is flawed and inadequate. I hope that rational, reasoned argument in the public domain will lead to a change in the law and that's what I'm asking for. I object strongly to the vigilante mentality I perceive.

So you think just because one person (or three) breaks the law it's okay for you to as well? And you think it's okay to expose innocent children to who knows what by naming these people? If I didn't live in the real world, I would probably be much happier. As it is, I do live in the real world and I have to read about such appalling treatment of one human by another. And then I read comments like "Hang, draw and quarter them and feed their entrails to other child killers" and I realise it's not limited to 'out there'...

As I would die for [my children]. It is upsetting, but, and I say it again, we want a just and merciful society. That has to apply to *everyone*, even those we think don't deserve it. That's the hallmark of a truly just society.

What I have said, over and over again, is that in a just society the law, flawed as it is, must be upheld otherwise there is anarchy. I have said that you cannot have one law for people you deem worthy or deserving of it and another law for everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment