Wednesday 18 February 2009

Not sure why but....

For reasons I don't quite understand, I have found myself almost constantly thinking of the people who have suffered in the bushfires. I haven't slept well this past week, I've just wanted to read everything I can get my hands on about it all. I cry when I read about what people have lost, I cry when I read about the miracles and the generousity. I also find myself thinking, for example when I'm making dinner, how much I take for granted. I can just decide to make dinner and reach for my favourite frying pan (yes, I have one, shut up) and my knife and get on with it. The ordinary things that the bushfire survivours can no longer do. Tonight, just before going to bed I filled in a couple of entries in Naomi's baby book and as I put the book away into the bookcase I thought to myself, now I'd definitely grab the baby books and that photo...

I hope I'm not morbidly obsessed or anything. I hope it's just an empathy thing, perfectly normal. Are other people doing the same thing? It all makes me wish I was back home, where I could talk to other people who would understand what I'm feeling. I've been so homesick this past week. All the Aussie families (all two of them) I knew have already moved back to Oz, it's just us here and at times like these I really miss having someone around who talks just like me...

1 comment:

  1. some tragedies pull on our heart strings yet leave others untouched...

    I'd say give yourself time to grieve, but if the natural passage of time doesn't help your emotions then perhaps speak to someone about it?

    ReplyDelete