Thursday 12 February 2009

Where do I start...

I haven't written much on the fires because I just don't know where to start.

I don't know anyone who's lost a home or a loved one, although I know people who've had to leave their home. My in-laws live only 30 minutes from Kinglake and I can only imagine what it was like for them. I've followed everything on the ABC news website, and I just find myself crying so much. I cry for the people who've lost everything, especially for people who've lost spouses, children, siblings, friends. I cry when I read the miraculous tales of survival, stories of people helping each other and rescuing wildlife. I'm overwhelmed at the generousity and kindness of strangers who have offered their homes, caravans, cars, time, skills, produce, whatever's needed to help people get back on their feet. I feel such deep sadness for the people still searching, waiting, seeking news of a loved one.

I have to admit, my biggest fear would be being caught in a fire. When I see pictures of those who have died, in my minds eye I see their faces twisted in pain and fear. Burning to death is the most painful thing I can imagine and I find it so scary.

So I'm still crying for those people who have died, those who have been injured, those who have lost so much. Please, if you're reading this blog, consider donating to the Australian Red Cross Victorian Bushfire Appeal. Even a small amount will help those in such desperate need rebuild their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment